For many Americans fall is the favorite season. October is a beautiful month all over the country. But for many locals, fall in Colorado is spectacular. Aspen leaves turn to shimmering gold. Mountain vistas are breathtaking. The temperature generally stays in the mid ‘60’s. And there’s plenty of sunshine. You won’t want to miss local events that celebrate the best parts of the season. Weekends might bring football games, brew fests, off road trips, and climbing of peaks. Or scenic hikes, pumpkin patch visits, haunted houses, food festivals, and corn mazes. As this unknown author writes, “Just before the death of flowers, and before they are buried in snow, there comes a festival season when nature is all aglow.”
For newcomers to the area, read up on the 24th annual 2018 Emma Crawford Coffin Races and Festival. This year, the annual event will be held on October 27th, (12:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.). Downtown Manitou Springs residents and visitors alike celebrate the historical folklore of Emma Crawford with this unique, enjoyable parade. The coffin race that follows is a community favorite that is distinctly Colorado. (http://www.emmacrawfordfestival.com/)
Fall Events and Activities in Colorado!
- Fall Festivals: Visit (https://coloradosprings.citymomsblog.com/mom/guide-to-fall-festivals-in-colorado-springs-2/) to learn about all the upcoming 2018 Fall Festivals in Colorado Springs! This list contains something fun for everyone!
- Pumpkin Patches and Farms in Colorado Springs! Visit: (https://coloradosprings.citymomsblog.com/mom/guide-to-pumpkin-patches-and-farms-in-colorado-springs/) to learn more about all the top local pumpkin patches and farms in the area to visit with the family!
- Interested in visiting a local Craft Fair? These little gems are the perfect place to visit if you’d like to support local businesses, find unique treasures and gifts as well as get some shopping done for the upcoming holiday season! Visit: (https://coloradosprings.citymomsblog.com/mom/guide-to-pumpkin-patches-and-farms-in-colorado-springs/) for more information.
- Are you ready for some Halloween sweets and treats? If so, check out: (https://coloradosprings.citymomsblog.com/around-town/guide-to-trick-or-treating-in-colorado-springs/ ) for a large list of all the upcoming special events to celebrate Halloween in Colorado Springs! This list includes everything from events like “Boo at the Zoo” to local “Trunk or Treat” parties!
- Interested in competing in a local race or perhaps a fun run for a great cause? Please see the following link for a complete guide to upcoming Fun Runs and Races in the Pikes Peak area! (https://coloradosprings.citymomsblog.com/fall-in-colorado-springs/guide-fall-fun-runs-races-colorado-springs/)
- There is still time left to get out into the Colorado mountains and see some fall color and beauty! Leaf peeping is a great activity for the entire family and makes for a great day trip (or train trip – see the link for details)! (https://coloradosprings.citymomsblog.com/travel/guide-to-fall-color-day-trips/). The best times to view fall colors across the State:
- Steamboat Springs/Fort Collins: September 15th – September 25th
- Grand Junction/Boulder: September 20th – September 30th
- Aspen/Denver: September 22nd – October 3rd
- Montrose/Salida/Colorado Springs: September 25th – October 7th
- Telluride/Gunnison/Durango/Alamosa: October 1st – October 10th
- Pueblo/Trinidad: October 5th – October 15th
- Do you love craft beers and spirits? Stop by the Haunted Brew Fest at the Norris Penrose Event Center on October 20th to taste craft beers and spirits from over 70 breweries, distilleries, and wineries. Hellscream Haunts Cast & Characters are sure to make this an unforgettable and frightening evening! (https://hauntedbrewfest.com/#brew)
- A Night at the Ranch Dinner at a Grazing Life – (September 15, 2018, A Grazing Life Ranch, Black Forest): Enjoy a Full Ranch Tour while learning about their conservation practices, “followed by dinner by Chef Gerry Castro, music, dancing, bonfire, mallow roasting, etc. End at 10 pm (if you stay any later you’ll be put to work feeding pigs).” (http://www.agrazinglife.com/chefgerrydinner.html)
- Fall Scenic Drives in Colorado – Get ready for fall with a scenic drive! Click the link for a PDF of top scenic drives in Colorado and start planning your next adventure! (http://go.yourcoloradospringshouse.com/scenic-drives-download)
- What is the best way to view Colorado’s Fall Colors this year? Colorado Springs is known for breathtaking beauty, unrivaled blue skies and easy access to outdoor recreation. Here are just five of the ways to soak in the fall foliage while increasing your heart rate. (https://www.visitcos.com/blog/5-thrilling-ways-view-colorados-fall-colors/)
- Old Colorado City GIANT Pumpkin Festival. This event is proudly hosted by the Rocky Mountain Giant Vegetable Growers and Old Colorado City and takes place on October 20th. See their Facebook page for additional details on this great family friendly upcoming event! (https://www.facebook.com/events/464536407355987/)