For many Americans fall is the favorite season. October is an especially beautiful month all over the country.
But for many locals, fall in Colorado is spectacular. Aspen leaves turn to shimmering gold. Mountain vistas are breathtaking. The temperature generally stays in the mid ‘60’s. And there’s plenty of sunshine. You won’t want to miss local events that celebrate the best parts of the season. Weekends might bring football games, brew fests, off road trips, and climbing of peaks. Or scenic hikes, pumpkin patch visits, haunted houses, food festivals, and corn mazes. As this unknown author writes, “Just before the death of flowers, and before they are buried in snow, there comes a festival season when nature is all aglow.”
For newcomers to the area, read up on the 22nd annual 2017 Emma Crawford Festival. This year it’s held on October 28th, (12:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.). Downtown Manitou Springs residents and visitors alike celebrate the historical folklore of Emma Crawford with this unique, enjoyable parade. The coffin race that follows is a community favorite that is distinctly Colorado.
15 Ways to Celebrate October 2017 in Colorado
- Hike one or more of the 20 Colorado hikes for fall color
- Create new October food traditions by making homemade treats with your family. Try caramel and/or candy apples, apple butter, popcorn balls, pumpkin pie or your own better than Starbucks spiced pumpkin latte
- Take a long weekend trip and visit AppleFest, Cedaredge Colorado
- Join the leaf peepers, pick one of the 10 Places to see Colorado’s Fall Color
- Decorate the front door of your new home with autumn colors. Use natural decorations. Autumn leaves, acorns, pumpkins and gourds
- Buy multi-colored mums and share with your neighbors
- Attend a haunted history walking tour of Manitou Springs
- Pick the perfect pumpkin from a local farm
- Breckenridge Craft Spirits Festival
- Plan a welcome to the neighborhood Harvest open house. Add fall decorations and favorite foods.
- Celebrate corn mazes and Harvest festivals in El Paso County
- Experience the scenic beauty from a historic railroad car of the Cumbres & Toltec
- Halloween Masquerade Party and The Shining Ball at The Stanley Hotel
- Give yourself permission to eat October comfort foods. Sweet and savory foods spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice are warming on cooler nights.
- Celebrate the Arts all month long.